Sandy Briggs, Wimberway Reg'd 1960.
RR 4, Powassan, Ontario, POH 1Z0, Canada
E-mail us at : Sandy Briggs
| Border Terriers
| Border Collies | Golden Retrievers
| Recent winners
| EPS Training Assoc
WE HAVE BEEN TRAINING DOGS SINCE 1960.
Sandy judges at Licensed Obedience & Rally-O trials and has judged across Canada, in the USA, and in Bermuda.
She also judges Retriever field tests, Working Certificate and Hunt Tests, and Tracking Tests.
Ivan judges at Retriever field tests.
- We train and handle our own dogs in obedience trials, agility trials, tracking tests, rally trials, and field work, as well as the show ring.
Our training classes start late March and early August each year. Call early to reserve your
spot in limited sized classes.
- Obedience classes are held outdoors, in a large grassy, fenced area. Class sizes are limited.
- Rally Obedience training is limited to dogs who have successfully completed a basic training class in obedience, and run when there is enough interest.
- We run obedience training courses for all breeds of dogs. Dogs/pups attneding Novice Obedience classes must be over six months
of age and fully vaccinated. Purebreds and cross-breds are welcome, and we accept problem dogs as well.
Basic (Novice) obedience training classes last for eight
lessons and cover all the exercises needed to compete in the Novice class at CKC obedience trials for the title of "Companion Dog" (CD):Heeling on lead,
stand-stay, heeling off lead, recall, sit-stay for 1 minute in a group; down-stay for 3 minutes in a group.
When possible, dogs are also introduced to Rally type exercises.
Owners are expected to train their dogs daily between classes for ten minutes or more, twice a day if possible.
- We also have advanced obedience classes that lead to Companion Dog Excellent (CDX) and Utility Dog (UD) titles, when we have enough interest.
- Many dogs from our obedience classes have gone on to earn their titles in licensed
trials, some with high scores and High In Trial awards.
We limit the size of
our classes to 8-12 dogs. In the beginners classes, lesson sheets are handed
out after each class.
- We have licensed trials planned and approved by the CKC for 2015:
May 30: 2 obedience trials, and 2 rally trials, with judge Michelle Armitage.
Sept 26, two obedience and two rally trials, judge Darwin Boles.
Information on the trials and entry forms will be on the EPS Training Assoc page which can be linked from this page.
Retriever Field Training
Retriever training in progress
- We work our own dogs on a regular basis, and compete in Working
Certificate test and Hunt Test trials with them. Sandy competed at licensed field trials for many years, but now only runs in the Working and Hunt tests due to other commitments. Sandy is eligible to judge all WC levels and all Hunt Test levels.
- In the Spring we start a combination field/obedience training course for
people interested in hunting with their dogs or earning working titles such as
the Working Certificate (WC) and Junior Hunter (JH). The course lasts for eight
sessions and introduces the dogs and handlers to basic obedience, retrieving,
delivery to hand, guns, birds, decoys, throwers, wingers, and water work.
- More advanced field training is done in smaller groups with interested
parties. Dogs from this level work towards their WCI and WCX titles, as well
as their SH title.
- We have suitable land and water available to us for training both here at the farm, and also close by. We also have neighbours who let us use their fields as well, which allows us to give the dogs variety and a lot of different terrain, vegetation, and experience in different situations.
- We run CKC licensed field tests here in June. June 13-14 in 2015. See the EPS Training Assoc. page for dates and more information. Entries for the Tests close ten days ahead of the test date.
- Training classes for Agility start in the spring, and completing a basic obedience
course is required before starting agility work. We have a full set of
equipment suitable for both AAC and CKC agility trials. After a basic intro to equipment course, dogs and owners can continue to "drop in"
"for fun" or with the intention of competing in trials. Agility equipment
includes an A frame, weave poles, jumps, dog walk, tire jump, teeter-totter,
pause table, tunnels, and a chute. Both CKC registered dogs, and mixed breeds
can compete in both CKC and AAC (Agility Association of Canada) trials. We compete with our own dogs and host trials here where owners can compete, earn ribbons, and work towards titles. Trials are planned for Sept 12-13, 2015.
Tracking training, is very time consuming and requires a lot of walking type exercise on the part of the handler. We run classes, starting in the Spring, when we have sufficient
interest to start a group. Maximum of 6 dog/handler temas are taken when starting training, but on going training continues as a group through the summer/fall. The beginners course starts with an introductory hands on seminar, (with dogs) usually held in early May. In ensuing weeks, usually on weekdays, other
training sessions in the fields are done using different people to lay tracks. Dogs learn to follow tracks, use the wind, and work with the wind in different
quarters, make turns, and indicate a find. There are Tracking dog titles, TD,TDX, UTD and UTDX which can be earned from the CKC. Licensed Tracking Trials, run by
EPS Training Assoc. are held here in the Spring and Fall, and there are trials run in southern Ontario and Sudbury asx well. EPS' dates for 2015: May 29-30-31, and sept 25-26-27.
Rally is a pre-set course with 15 to 20 "stations" where different exercises have to be performed by the dog and handler. Many of the exercises are the same, or similar to, ones used in obedience trials/training, but one has to learn the different signs, and know how to perform the exercises smoothly.....as well as remembering the course. Trials are offered at the farm. Completing a basic obedience course before starting rally training helps both the handler and the dog. Any dog with obedience titles should be able to achieve Rally titles.2015 trial dates: May 30 and sept 27.
Information | Labradors | Border Terriers | Border Collies | Golden Retrievers
| Recent winners
} EPS Training assoc page